The term social media marketing (SMM) refers to the use of social media and social networks to market a company's products and services. Social media marketing provides companies with a way to engage with existing customers and reach new ones while allowing them to promote their desired culture, mission, or tone.
Social media marketing characteristics.
- Participation: Social media encourages contributions and feedback from everyone. Social media includes the delivery of ideas at the time of online conversation. It tries to bridge the gap between companies and their audiences. People are enjoying this process of participation where they feel they have a voice, an impact.
- Openness: What you do, what you say, everything is out there in the open. People are quick to call out any contradiction, foul play, or mistakes. Brands have to be honest, transparent, and authentic as negativity can destroy a brand’s online reputation.
- Relationship building: Social media is a two-way communication channel, requiring participation from both brands and customers. It is a must for businesses to make good connections with their target audience. Online conversation through various social media tools happens in real-time with real people. Engaging to build relations can go a long way for businesses.
- Reliability: You need to consistently show your online presence to come off as reliable. Effective social media marketers actively use target social platforms to get involved with new users and promote their offerings. They talk to their target audience regularly. Use social media as a means of trust-building.
- Community building: Social media platforms are the right place to build communities quickly. This helps you communicate more effectively. Communities have common interests. These communities help you learn about your target audience. You can also support other communities that you think are good for your business.
- Customer service: Customers must be taken care of. Social media networks are all about connecting with them and helping them understand how your service or product adds value to their lives. Social media is for providing value to customers, not just for blatant promotion.